Sunday, November 18, 2012

iCAN View Prius 2 Started!

I've started a new weekend project!  When finished, it will allow me to view, record, playback, and analyze the CAN BUS data from my 2nd generation Prius on my iPad.  Why you may ask?  I have an answer.  Because, I can CAN232. :)

This will be multi-stage project that will evolve on each versions.
Version 1:  Targeted to work only on 2nd generation Prius and UI will be "fixed" so the end users cannot change the layout.
Version 2:  Allow the end-users to arrange the layout.
Version 3:  Integration to Raspberry-PI/CAN USB.
Version 4: Don't know yet :)

I "lied." :)  I've already written similar application about 2-3 years ago on Windows platform.  So, now, I am in the process of "porting" windows application to iPad.

Hardware required is listed below.  Luckily, I've had most of these from my previous project.

CAN232 : this interface allows me to connect my car's OBDII port for CAN data to a RS232.  Both sides have DB9 connectors but must be connected correctly to the right sides.  $109.00

OBD2 cable to RJ45:  this is a generic OBD2 to ScanGuageII.  $13.95

RJ45 to DB9 connector:  I've used a QVS CC439.  $3.99

Wi-Fi Serial adapter:  This allows a serial device to become WiFi! :)  $99.00


Step 1)  Wire RJ45 to DB9.
End of OBD2 cable looks like this.  Wire pinout of OBD2 cable can be obtained from here.


RJ45 to DB9:




When finished wiring, it looks like this.



Step 2) Connect the RJ45/DB9 to CAN232:
Make sure to connect RJ45/DB9 to CAN side of the CAN232.





No comments:

Post a Comment